Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 27, 2011

The Muppets Take The GLORY!

 Uncle Deadly is back. When I was a child, I was deathly afraid of Uncle Deadly, a Muppet that was known for his Phantom of the Muppet's Show episode. I was totally freaked out, but I was able to face my fears knowing that he would reappear in this incarnation of the Muppets. I not only overcame my fear, but entertained as well.
Do yourself a favor and watch the Muppets. The movie is jammed pack with self reflexivity and gags that will keep you laughing, but take you back to your nostalgic childhood as to when the Muppet's Show was televised. The love and passion behind the storytelling is astounding, and that is what the industry seems to lack these days. Jason Segel  and Nicholas Stoller have crafted a wonderful and rich original tale using Jim Henson's beautifully designed creations. All of the Muppet characters are present in this new adventure.
The narrative opens up with the exposition of Gary (Jason Segel) and Walter (Peter Linz(voice)) as two brothers who grow up watching the Muppet's Show. Walter becomes obsessed with the Muppets buying all the merchandise and dressing up as Kermit for a Halloween. Gary falls in love with Mary (Amy Adams) an elementary school teacher where they plan a vacation to Los Angeles for their tenth anniversary, and Gary invites his brother Walter to go with them. Walter is very excited because he may have the honor of possibly meeting his hero, Kermit the frog (Steve Whitmire (voice)). When they arrive in Los Angeles (after a couple of hilarious song and dance numbers) they immediately take a tour of the unkempt Muppet Studio where the tour guide (Alan Arkin) gives them a cheap and speedy tour of the place, but during the tour Walter sneaks off into Kermit's office and finds out that Tex Richman (Chris Cooper) has plans to drill for oil instead of preserving the studio and turning it into a museum. Walter tells Gary and Mary and they are soon off to look for Kermit in hopes that they can rally all of the Muppets to save the studio as well as their name.

 The Muppets' Movie is quite the treat for all ages. There are some innuendos but nothing to really worry about. After watching Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I was a bit apprehensive as to taking my family to watch the film, but I am glad that I left my prejudices at home and embraced this movie. I give this movie an A-, especially, for its heart warming theme and values. All I have to say is, "Manamana." Let's talk about it, please let me know what you think of the Muppets? Which Muppet scared you? Are you happy they made a come back?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a very positive review. I hadn't thought about seeing this film yet but after hearing your review I should give it a chance and walk the nostalgic avenues of The Muppets once more. Thanks. I'll let you know what I think soon.

    ReplyDelete